Three years ago in August I did my first segment on KAKE TV. I made Taco Mix and demonstrated how to make beef tacos. This week I am doing a throwback recipe for beef tacos using the Taco Mix I made years ago.
This recipe is really easy to make in large amounts it is all about the amount of mix, salt, and water per pound of meat. In my house I make this 12 pounds at a time and freeze it in meal-size portions for my family.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet. (See note for how I like to brown ground beef.)
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Add Taco Mix, salt, and water to the ground beef.
- Stir well and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes. (If the meat gets too dry, you can add a little more water.)
How to brown ground beef:
- I like to spread the meat into a flat disc in a cold skillet.
- Turn on the heat and leave it alone (you can add the salt now, but for tacos I like to wait.)
- Let it cook without stirring until the bottom is dark brown.
- Flip the disc over and break up the meat into the size pieces you prefer.
- Continue cooking until no longer pink.
How to make big batch taco meat:
- This recipe scales by the pound. For every pound you use 2 Tablespoons of taco mix, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water.
- 4 Pounds of meat uses 1/2 cup taco mix, 4 teaspoons salt, and 2 Cups of water.
How to freeze taco meat:
- Let the meat cool to room temperature.
- Write "beef taco meat" and the date on the outside of a zip top bag.
- Add the cooled taco meat to the bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 919mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 35g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active kids. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. You can see her every week on KAKE TV’s Good Morning Kakeland or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.