Chewy Molasses Cookies
Sugar and spice make everything nice! These cookies are slightly crisp on the edges and soft and chewy in the center. My mother has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember and they are my absolute favorite!
I am not usually one to use vegetable shortening, but these cookies are just not the same without Butter Flavor Crisco. I only recommend that brand. You can use the pre-measured sticks, or get it in a tub. The video shows how to measure the shortening in water which is so much easier than scraping it out of a measuring cup.
I also highly recommend spraying your measuring cup with cooking spray before you add the molasses. It will pour out without resistance.
- 1/4 Cup Butter (or Margarine) at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Butter Flavor Crisco (Vegetable Shortening)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Cup Sugar for shaping cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, Crisco, 1 Cup sugar, and molasses.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of flour over the sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice over the flour.
- Mix with electric mixer to combine.
- Add remaining cup of flour and mix just to combine.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls or use a cookie scoop.
- Roll the balls of dough in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. (The cookies will be slightly puffed when coming out of the oven, but will flatten a little as they cool. They will also firm up as the cool.)
- I only recommend using Butter Flavor Crisco for this recipe. I have not tested other vegetable shortenings. Do not make this recipe with all butter. The texture will be compromised.
- I usually make several batches of this dough at one time and wrap the dough in plastic wrap and freeze. It will freeze up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.