These enchiladas are simple to make. I like to use my homemade enchilada sauce. The sauce recipe makes enough for two batches of enchiladas. I usually double the enchilada recipe and freeze one pan for another day.
To freeze the enchiladas, make them in a disposable 9 x 13 pan and cover with foil and then wrap in plastic wrap. I like to freeze them before baking. To reheat, remove plastic wrap and place in oven at 350 degrees covered for about 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake another 20-30 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
I often make chicken breasts in my instant pot for the enchiladas, but you can use chicken from a rotisserie chicken too!
This basic recipe for chicken enchiladas starts with my homemade enchilada sauce. Chicken, cheese, and sauce are nestled in flour tortillas and topped with more sauce and cheese and baked until bubbly and heated through.
- 1/2 Recipe Enchilada Sauce
- 8 10-inch Flour Tortillas
- 3 Cups Cooked Chicken (See Note)
- 3 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (12 Ounces)
- If you have not made the enchilada sauce, start by making the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare the Enchiladas
- Pour about 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of sauce on top of a tortilla.
- Add some of the cooked chicken on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of cheese on top of the chicken.
- Fold the edges of the tortilla over the chicken and cheese and place the enchilada seam side down in the baking dish on top of the sauce.
- Repeat for the remaining seven tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
1. I like to make the sauce just before assembling the enchiladas, but it can be made ahead of time.
2. I like to make a double recipe and freeze one for later.
3. You can use any cooked chicken you prefer. A rotisserie chicken is a super easy shortcut.
4. If you like lots of cheese, you may want to increase to 4 cups or 16 ounces.
5. My kids are not big fans of onions, but adding some sautéed onions to the chicken mixture would be delicious.