Chocolate Almond Granola
I have listed the coconut as optional. I personally love the coconut and the chocolate, almond, coconut combination is reminiscent of an almond joy candy bar. Alas, my kids are not big fans of coconut in their granola. They don’t hate it, but they do not prefer it, so I usually skip the coconut.
If you like your granola super crispy, cook this recipe for a full hour. If you like it a little chewy (like those granola bars you buy your kids) cook it for 40 minutes. I like it both ways, but find the chewy to be my favorite.
- 6 cups Oats (oatmeal)
- 2 cups Slivered Almonds
- 2 cups puffed brown rice (You can get this in the "healthy cereal" section of the grocery store, or use any unsweetened crisp rice cereal.)
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Pure Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 4 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Unsweetened flake coconut (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. (Except coconut if using.) Mix oil and maple syrup with vanilla and pour over dry ingredients. Stir until all the dry ingredients are completely coated.
- Line a large rimmed sheet pan with parchment and then empty granola onto pan. Spread out and then press down firmly with the flat side of a spatula (this is key to getting large chunks of granola and not a powdery mess.)
- Bake at 275 for 40 minutes to one hour. Use convection if your oven has it. If you want the coconut, add it on top of the granola for the last 5-10 minutes. Watch carefully as it burns quickly.
If you are using coconut, I prefer the large flake, unsweetened coconut. The small flake does work too. I have not tested it with sweetened coconut. Watch the granola carefully because coconut can burn quickly.
For chewier granola, bake for 45 minutes. For crispier granola, bake for an hour.
If you want large pieces of granola, do not stir.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 90mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 9gSugar: 15gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.