Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes are a favorite in our home. Baked yukon gold potatoes are smashed on a baking sheet and broiled until brown and crispy.
I like to use yukon gold potatoes because they have a thinner skin than russet potatoes. You can do it with russets, but the result is much better with yukon golds. It is important to have the potatoes somewhat uniform in size. If you have some big and some little potatoes, cut the big ones in half before cooking. Also, anytime you bake potatoes it is important to poke a few holes in the skin to allow steam to escape, otherwise they can explode and make a huge mess in your oven.
This recipe can easily be adjusted to make larger or smaller quantities. The bake times will be the same.
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (About 6)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the potatoes by washing and poking several holes the the skin with a fork. If the potatoes are not similar in size, cut larger ones in half or thirds.
- Place potatoes on rack in oven and bake at 400 degrees for one hour.
- Remove potatoes from oven and change oven setting to Broil.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in the center of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the baked potatoes on top of the oil the rimmed baking sheet.
- Smash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Sprinkle the smashed potatoes with salt and then spray over the potatoes with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven 8-10 inches from the heating element and broil for 12-14 minutes until the tops are spotty golden brown.
I have done this with russet potatoes. They have a thicker skin and do not work as well as yukon gold.
You can use other types of oil. I like to use ghee instead of olive oil.
The cooking spray works better than drizzling the top with olive oil because it gives a more even coating of oil on the surface of the potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.