Crunchy Cranberry Coleslaw
Sometimes you want something bright and fresh for the Thanksgiving table. For me, I know I want something bright and fresh for the leftovers.
This simple salad is reminiscent of an Asian slaw salad. It uses rice vinegar and soy sauce, but also uses cranberry sauce in the dressing.
You can use a bag of coleslaw mix, or cut up a head of fresh cabbage.
This crunchy tangy salad would be a nice side dish at Thanksgiving. But honestly, I want it on the side of a turkey sandwich the next day.
For the Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Cranberry Sauce (Jellied or Whole Berry both work really well.)
- 1/3 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar ("natural" not "seasoned" see note)
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
For the Salad
- 8 Cups bagged Coleslaw Mix (1 14 ounce bag) or 8 Cups Shredded Cabbage
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
Make the Dressing
- In large serving bowl, mix the cranberry sauce, olive oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce well with a whisk until well-combined. It will thicken slightly. (If you are using whole berry sauce you will have bits of berry and that is just fine.)
Toast the Almonds
- Place the almonds on a microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Stir the almonds and continue to microwave in 20 second intervals until the almonds are barely turning brown. (This will take up to 2 minutes more.)
Mix the Salad
- Add the coleslaw mix, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries to the dressing in the bowl and mix to combine.
- I like to use bagged coleslaw mix to make this super easy, but you can use shredded cabbage of any kind.
- If you want to make this ahead, I recommend making the dressing and toasting the almonds, but wait to mix it all together until just before serving.
- The dressing can be made up to 1 week ahead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.