Easy Chicken Fajitas
Summer means easy meals and this chicken fajita recipe is about as easy as it gets. It is full of flavor and fresh veggies which makes it a total win in my camp.
The chicken needs to marinate at least 5 minutes, but if you have a couple of hours, that is even better. Just remember to marinate it in the refrigerator for food safety.
When I am pressed for time I cut the chicken and get it marinating while I chop the veggies and prepare some guacamole.
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into long, thin strips
- 2 Bell Peppers, cut in long, thin strips (I like to use at least 2 colors.)
- 1 Onions, cut pole to pole, then sliced into ¼ inch “moons.”
- 3/4 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- Juice of 1 large Lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon oil (I use avocado or coconut oil.)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Tortillas (I use whole wheat tortillas or gluten-free corn tortillas.)
- Optional toppings like guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and salsa
Add raw chicken to a shallow baking dish. (I use an 8×8 Pyrex dish.) Sprinkle with salt and cumin. Cover with lime juice. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add chicken and let brown on one side for a minute. Flip and let finish cooking completely through, about 1-2 minutes more.
Add the onions and saute 1-2 minutes. Add peppers and cook another 1-2 minutes.
Add water to skillet and scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Turn off heat.
Serve fajitas on tortillas with optional toppings.
If you like jalapenos, you can add them with the bell peppers.
To make this gluten free, serve on gluten free corn tortillas. To make this dairy-free omit cheese and sour cream.
If I have extra time I will let the chicken marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.