Egg Roll Meatballs (Dairy Free, Egg Free, and Gluten Free Option)
I have always loved egg rolls. When the egg roll in a bowl craze started I was all in! Lots of lean protein and veggies that tastes delicious and takes less than 20 minutes to prepare….I am in!
I like to keep meatballs in the freezer for easy snacks or quick meals. I have Italian Meatballs and Turkey Curry Meatballs. Then I got an idea… My daughter loves egg roll in a bowl and last year I made a mixture of all the ingredients and formed it into patties that she cooked like breakfast sausages. What if I just made the mixture into meatballs and baked in the oven?
Well friends- these meatballs are soooooo good! I am kind of in love. It took a little tweaking to get the recipe right. One thing I did to improve the texture was to swap out the fresh ginger for ground ginger. I don’t understand the chemistry, but somehow it makes a big difference.
These meatballs do not have any eggs or breadcrumbs so they are really allergy-friendly. If you need them gluten free, substitute coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
I really love my #40 scoop. It makes the perfect meatballs!
- 2 Cups Shredded Cabbage (from 1/4 of a medium head.)
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Carrots (about 3 medium)
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce (or Coconut Aminos for For Gluten Free)
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Finely chop the carrots, cabbage and garlic. (I like to use my food processor.) You want the veggies to be minced finely.
- In a medium bowl, mix finely chopped carrots, cabbage, and garlic with the ground turkey, ginger, salt, hot pepper flakes, sesame oil and soy sauce (or coconut aminos.)
- Using a #40 scoop, form the mixture into meatballs and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (You will get about 30 meatballs.)
- Bake at 425 for 12-13 minutes on the middle rack.
- Switch the oven to high broil and broil for 3-4 minutes until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
When the egg roll meatballs bake, they will exude a little liquid. This is normal.
If you want them gluten-free substitute coconut aminos.
You can use 3 cups of bagged coleslaw mix in place of the carrots and cabbage. Be sure to chop it more as you want very small pieces of veggies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
New Star Foodservice 34905 Commercial-Grade Thumb Press Food Disher/Ice Cream Scoop, 18/8 Stainless Steel, 0.875 oz, Size 40, Purple
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Celtic Sea Salt Light Grey, (1) 16 Ounce Bag, Great for Cooking & Baking, Pickling or Grinding, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Kosher
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1265mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 31g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active kids. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. You can see her every week on KAKE TV’s Good Morning Kakeland or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.