Episode 168 4 Tips to Riff on a Recipe
I have said many times that there are two kinds of cooks:
- Those who follow recipes to at “T”
- Those who use recipes as suggestions
If you follow recipes to a “T” this episode can help you make simple changes to recipes that will help you get more creative in the kitchen and save money on ingredients.
If you use recipes as suggestions this episode can help you understand how you do this naturally and may give you some new ideas of ways to make recipes your own.
4 Tips to Riff on a Recipe
Tip 1: Think About Why You Want to Change a Recipe.
- You are out of an ingredient
- You have an allergy or intolerance to an ingredient
- You need to adjust the servings to make a bigger or smaller meal
- The recipe has an expensive ingredient
- The recipe has an ingredient you won’t use up
Tip 2: What do You Want to Change in the Recipe?
- Add more veggies
- More or less Spice
- Swap for less expensive proteins
- This recipe would be better if….. add some cream, add some acid, add some salt….
Tip 3: Does the Change Make Sense?
- Are the flavors similar to the original recipe?
- Are the proportions similar to the original recipe?
- Look to see if other recipes make use the ingredients you intend to swap
Tip 4: Just Do It!
- It may take some trial and error
- You may have some “okay” meals but most things are edible
- Learn as you go.
- Get creative!
- This will give you freedom in the kitchen
- This has the ability to lower your grocery bill
Links from this episode:
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active teens. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. Check out her YouTube Channel or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.
For a transcript click here.