Episode 169 Beat the Winter Blahs
We are well into January and I know I am feeling the winter blahs. Christmas is over, my kids are finally back in school and it is crazy cold outside. My body is longing for something new and so many of my go-to meals feel “tired.”
It’s crazy how in September the PSL is released by Starbucks and all of a sudden everyone is making soups, stews, and anything with pumpkin even though most of the country is still pretty hot and it definitely isn’t “sweatah weathah.” By the time January rolls around we are tired of the “fall food” and are craving something bright and fresh.
In the food blogging world January goes in one of two directions:
- “Skinny Food” with healthy alternatives and intense meal prepping
I’ve talked before about how my family isn’t fond of soups and I am not on the “skinny food” train so where does it leave me….feeling “blah.”
How do you beat the winter “blahs” or winter blues in the kitchen?
- Add a little extra to your food budget and try something new.
- Go back to a recipe you haven’t made in a long time. (The Feed Your Family Tonight Meal Planning System can really help with this.) Last week I made this favorite from Kendra Adachi.
- Try a new recipe.
Beat the Winter Blahs
- Know you are not alone. I’m right there with you.
- Listen to my podcast on getting out of a dinner rut.
- If all else fails, break open a bag of chicken nuggets and relish in the fact that no one in you family will complain about dinner. That is enough to win in the kitchen.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active teens. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. Check out her YouTube Channel or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.
For a transcript click here.