Garlic and Cheese Beer Bread
This simple quick bread is easy to make and full of flavor. It is similar to by regular Beer Bread that you can make from Beer Bread Mix. I add garlic powder and cheddar to make this a perfect savory side to a soup, stew, or chili.
I have made it with different kinds of beer, but I find that an American-style lager works best. If you do not buy alcohol, you can use seltzer water, but you will miss the yeasty flavor the beer provides.
- 3 Cups Flour (I have used all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour.)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 4 teaspoons Garlic Powder (divided)
- 1 Cup (4 ounces) Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 12 ounce Beer
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the bread pan. Spray an 8 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper the width of the loaf pan. (I like it to be long enough to fit down the middle of the pan, and up the sides with a little extra on each side. See Video.) Spay over the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Mix the bread. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, 2 teaspoons of the garlic powder, and cheese. Add the beer and mix until combined. You do not want to over mix the dough.
- Add the dough to the prepared bread pan. You may need to gently push it to the edges of the pan. The top does not need to be smooth.
- Mix remaining 2 teaspoons of garlic powder with the melted butter. Pour melted butter mixture over the dough.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. The top will be barely turning brown. You can stick a toothpick in the center of the bread to test doneness. If the toothpick is dry or only has a few moist crumbs the bread is done.
- Using the excess parchment, gently lift the bread from the pan. Slice and serve.
I have made this with seltzer water instead of beer. It works, but you will miss the deep yeasty flavor the beer provides.
American-Style lagers like Budweiser or Coors work best, but you can use any beer you prefer.
This is great toasted the next day.
I receive a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Fasmov 500 Count Parchment Paper Baking Liner Sheets Pan liner, 12×16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Suitable for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More
Prepworks by Progressive 10" Flat Whisk, Handheld Steel Wire Whisk Perfect for Whisking, Flat Roux Whisk, Gravy Stirring, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.