Grilled Foil Potatoes
Foil potatoes are pure nostalgia for me. They bring back memories of camping as a child. Most recipes use sliced potatoes, but I prefer them shredded hash brown style.
You want to know how evenly your grill heats. The shredded potatoes can burn easily so try to avoid hot spots on your grill. I tested these on a gas grill and find it they work best when cooked on low heat.
Grilled Foil Potatoes
Grilled Foil Potatoes are a simple side dish you can make on the grill. Shredded potatoes are placed in a foil packet and grilled until brown and crispy.
- 1 Pound Russet Potatoes, Shredded
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- Cooking Spray
- Aluminum Foil
- Preheat your gas grill to high heat.
- Shred the potatoes on a box grater or with a shredding disc on a food processor.
- Rinse the shredded potatoes in cold water, then drain.
- Place rinsed potatoes on a kitchen towel and gather the towel around the potatoes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Spray 2 18 inch pieces of aluminum foil with cooking spray.
- Divide the potatoes on top of the two pieces of foil.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of coarse sea salt on top of each mound of potatoes.
- Spray on top of the potatoes with more cooking spray.
- Fold the foil over the potatoes to create a sealed pack.
- Place the foil packs on the grill and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Flip the foil packs and cook 7-8 more minutes.
- Remove from grill and open to check doneness. If they are not cooked through, return to grill for 2-3 more minutes per side.
This recipe was tested with russet potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes would likely work well.
If you like onions, you could add some chopped onion to the shredded potatoes before salting.
I have not tried these with frozen hash browns.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active kids. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. You can see her every week on KAKE TV’s Good Morning Kakeland or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.