Meatball subs are super easy to make. Hoagie buns are toasted under the broiler and topped with meatballs, sauce, and cheese and broiled again until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
I like to use my homemade Italian Meatballs, but you can use frozen meatballs too.
You can use frozen meatballs rather than homemade. I like to use olive oil cooking spray rather than brushing olive oil on the hoagies to toast them. This recipe calls for jarred marinara sauce.
What can go wrong?
Always be careful when using the broiler. Food can get burnt quickly. I like to have the rack in the upper middle position and watch the food carefully as it broils.
- 1 24 oz Jar Marinara Sauce
- 20 Meatballs (see note)
- 4 Hoagie Buns (see note)
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup (4 oz) Shredded Mozzarella
- Set the oven rack to the upper middle position and preheat oven to broil.
- In a large saucepan, heat meatballs and sauce.
- Open four hoagie buns on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray the top with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Toast the buns under the broiler. This will take 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully as they burn easily.
- Remove from oven, top each hoagie bun with 5 meatballs and a tablespoon or two of extra sauce. Top the meatballs and sauce with 1/4 cup of shredded Mozzarella.
- Return the subs to the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. This will take 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully.
- Remove from oven and serve.
You can use my recipe for homemade Italian Meatballs or you can use store-bought frozen meatballs.
It is important to heat the meatballs all the way before topping the buns. They will not heat up much in the oven.
You can substitute 6 inch slices of French bread for the hoagie buns. Just slice down the center before spraying with olive oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 844Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 2635mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 10gSugar: 18gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active kids. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. You can see her every week on KAKE TV’s Good Morning Kakeland or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.