Simple Baked Fish
What kind of fish can you use in this recipe?
I like to use white fish like, cod, tilapia, halibut, or flounder.
Can you use frozen fish?
In Kansas, most fish is previously frozen. I find frozen fish works really well in this recipe.
How do you thaw frozen fish?
I find it is best to place the frozen fish in a container in the refrigerator. The container will catch any drips or liquid as the fish thaws. This usually takes 24-48 hours. You can quickly thaw the fish by placing it in a bowl of cool water. You want to change the water every 30 minutes. It will take 1-2 hours to thaw one pound of individually wrapped pieces of fish.
How do you serve Simple Baked Fish?
What temperature do you bake fish?
I find that 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit works well. You may need to bake a little more or less depending on the size and thickness of the fish. Be careful not to overbake the fish or it will get dry.
Why do you top baked fish with lemon slices?
I find that the lemon adds a little flavor and a little acid that helps brighten up the simple baked fish.
- 1 Pound white fish (cod, tilapia, halibut, and flounder all work well.) Cut into individual portions.
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1-2 Lemons sliced thinly
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place the fish on the sprayed parchment paper and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place lemon slices over the pieces of fish.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes. If your fish is thin it will take closer to 10 minutes. If you have a thick piece of fish, it will take closer to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- I like to serve it with Cheater Romesco Sacue.
To thaw frozen fish, place the fish in a container in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. You can also thaw it in a bowl of cool water, changing the water every 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 13Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and may not be completely accurate.
This post contains affiliate links.
Marie Fiebach is a married mother of four active kids. She helps busy families plan and execute weeknight dinner so they can recapture a little calm in the crazy. You can see her every week on KAKE TV’s Good Morning Kakeland or listen to the Feed Your Family Tonight Podcast.